Monday, February 27, 2012

Together....WE will beat this (Shyra's Blog)

"You don't choose your family.  They are God's gift to you, as you are to them." 
 ~Desmond Tutu


gift /gift/
Noun- A thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.






Love, Hope, Faith, Cure.
I've decided to do something a little different with this blog.  You guys have been hearing from me for years.  So it's safe to say, we all pretty much know how Ebony feels about canSer, right?!?! This last month has been pretty crazy in my little "canSer world", I was finally able to start taking my 5th addition to my chemo cocktail, I received my 1st during treatment scan (results weren't great, but they weren't horrible either!!!), annnnnnnnd I shaved my hair off lol! The head shaving thing is a pretty huge deal, so naturally, I should blog about it, right?! Well.....I was thinking a while ago, that maybe you guys want to start hearing from other people.  I am blessed to have the best support system in the world, from my peeps all the way in Savannah, to my Sycamore and White Oak families here. Friends, acquaintances, friends of friends, strangers, and of course....my amazing family.  All these people have been affected in some way, and I think it's time that they're heard!!!! I decided to do some blogs dedicated to all my caregivers, co-survivors,  and supporters.  There is no way I would have gotten this far without all of you, so it's only fair that we should be able to hear what you guys have to say! 


<3
Yall hear me talk about Shyra A LOT lol, I'm not gonna go into much detail about our relationship, I'll let her handle that :o)  I decided, I wanted her to go first, and this is why;  I def wouldn't be where I am today without her.  Although I love that quote up there from Desmond Tutu, I did not need him to tell me that this amazing woman is a gift from God, because I've known that all my life. 


~LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE~


~For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.~
Matthew 18:20 












So here it is......


Shyra's Blog:


I love cancer.
Pause. I’m sure you’re asking how can anyone love cancer? It is a relentless assassin, it devastates millions of families, and claims innocent lives. It causes victims to literally poison their bodies in an effort to rid itself of this tenacious disease.  
I’m sure all of us have been touched by cancer in some way, shape, or form.  I’ve actually gotten to know cancer pretty well the last 3 years. As a matter of fact, I watched a dear loved one look cancer square in the eye 3 different times in 3 years. ( I told you, she’s relentless) So again, you ask, how can anyone love cancer? Well let me tell you...
Now this isn’t my battle, it belongs to Ebony. Ebony and I are first cousins.  Our mothers are twin sisters, so we think of ourselves as “cuhsters,” (cousins and sisters) and we are.  Ebony was diagnosed with colon cancer at the age of 28.  She whooped cancer up side the head with out a blink.  But, in true cancer form, she came back again in her liver the very next year. Don’t trip, Ebony is a G! She dropped kicked cancer in the face for the 2nd time, no sweat! Oh, but you see, cancer isn’t called cancer for nothing. Embarrassed by 2 butt whoopings in as many years by the same woman no less, cancer reared her ugly little head again, yall! Can you believe it? I can, cancer is a relentless bitch! Not even 8 months after her last round of chemo, cancer came back for the 3rd time in her liver and her lung. So this brings me to present day, Operation: Didn’t -we-tell-your-ugly-butt-twice-not-to-come-around-here-no-more-we-aint-backing-down-so-take-your-ratchet-self-on-somewhere!  Yeah, that’s the name of it. 
Y’all my cousin, Ebony, has carried this with such style and grace.  She’s has the most hopeful and optimistic approach. (As well she should, we serve a mighty God!) We laugh, we joke, we make fun of cancer. I think that pisses cancer off too. We steal it’s thunder. We give it no power. The funniest thing she’s said is, “I hope cancer gets cancer and dies of cancer!” LMBO!!!  She’s hilar! And she will pull that cancer card, quick, to get what she wants...lol! I don’t blame her she’s endured so much. 
Me being the athlete I am, I liken it to a game series. You know the first game, we blew cancer out. The second game, cancer wasn’t going out so easy, she gave us a good run but we still won convincingly. cancer got a little confidence though. Now this third game, we have a new game plan.  We’re not being nice any more. It’s like a pesky, little, scrappy guard. We’re not giving cancer a chance or any hope. We’ve got that killer instinct this go ‘round. A stronger chemo cocktail that will promise to have stronger side effects--the hair’s definitely gonna go. We’re going straight for the head of the beast this time.  At this point of the game, we’re ahead and we’re not looking back. We’re playing up to our competition because cancer’s win/loss record speaks for itself.  We’re gonna step on her neck and leave no chance for a comeback. This is it for you, cancer. You’ve had your time to shine.  We ain’t playing any more! Do or die!  You see, cancer, our Coach is the most high! He’s drilled us, He’s gone over the scouting report with us, He’s given us a pre-game speech that will make you run through a brick wall!   We’re the home team and we have a packed house full of #fcancer fans! He’s already promised us this victory! Praise Him! 
    
I know what you’re thinking, “Shyra, you still haven’t told us why you love cancer.”  Welp, this is why I love cancer...
I have been a witness--a witness to God’s power and grace! I’ve witnessed His promise and His plan. I’ve witnessed just how detailed and intricately God works. I’m thankful for my own test of faith as a co-survivor, it only strengthened my relationship with Him.  I’ve witnessed courage.  I’ve seen this young, brave, fearless woman look cancer square in the eyes and refuse to lay down. I’ve seen her smile and laugh in the face of adversity. I’ve witnessed the true essence of FAMILY. I’ve seen a family stand in agreement and on one accord in the name of Jesus and for the sake of Ebony. I’ve seen an extended family come together out of pure love; a family that you wouldn’t think could be any closer, band together as tightly as a fist. We’ve fasted for her and we had over 30 family members join in on a prayer call for Ebony. And you know what Matthew 18:19-20 says. I’ve seen her mother, Joan, display the most unwavering exhibit of faith and strength. I’ve witnessed the true inspiration that Ebony has been to people not only in her community but around the world!! Praise God! (tears) How lucky is she that God chose her to be this beacon of light and an example of His grace! She’s saved lives by advocating for cancer awareness and and the importance of screenings.  cancer has brought Ebony and me closer than I had ever imagined and for that, I am truly thankful. She makes me a better person, too. How can I complain about being too tired to practice for 2 hours when she is literally countering this vicious attack on her body by poisoning hers for 8 hours every other week.  If that doesn’t put your priorities in order, I don’t know what will.  Not only is she my cousin, she is my sister. And, not only is she my sister, she is my bestie. So many people have been blessed by Ebony’s generosity and willingness to share her journey. I was fortunate enough to watch her shave her head, just another shot to cancer’s gut. We don’t care about hair! I’ve been humbled, I’ve been educated, I’ve been blessed by cancer. 
And...that’s why I love cancer.
So, Ebony, I want you to know that you are not alone in this fight! You have an army of support and LOVE behind you and WE WILL BEAT cancer...again! And we’re gonna give God all of the GLORY!! Here is my tribute to you! I love you! #fcancer 







Stay tuned for more "guest bloggers"!!!! Up next....My momma.....or my Aunt Jean, which ever finishes first....you know they're twins so it's gonna be a competition lol!


(ANYBODY NOTICE I CHANGED THE NAME OF THE BLOG FROM, "I WILL beat this..." to, "WE will beat this..."?!?!?! hee hee :o))


Love u guys :o)



















6 comments:

  1. Spoken from the heart! Your mom and I are two of the most blessed women in the
    world! God has given us two of his best and brightest and for this we are truly thankful! Thank you for being by Ebony's side during this faith walk Shyra. Your unselfish sacrifice to shave your head in honor of the fight speaks volumes for your love and commitment for family. I love you and I couldn't be more proud of you! We're So glad you're back in the States! There's such a void when you're overseas! See you on March 16th @ 9:45! Can't wait!
    Lushoo, Aunty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ebony you are amazing!!! Shyra you are a great cousin and supporter!! I will keep you and your family in my prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep your head up and may god be with u

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're my cousin, sister, and bestie toooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you so so so so so much.....Scary to think about where I'd be without you. Thank you....for everything <3 See u soon!!!!!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love u Ebony and even though I am in Richmond and can't see you that often... just know that you re always in my heart and I know that GOD will bring US through this.

    ReplyDelete